Over $9,000 in Prizes
Grand Championship, Reserve
Grand Champion and Third Place receive Trophy's and a Cash Prize.
Each category will award Trophy's
and a Cash prize for 1st thru 5th. Medals will be awarded for 6th thru
Saturday NEBS Grilling
Sunday New York State BBQ
Here is an archive of any emails or information sent out to
Judges or Cooks for 2009
Battle of the BBQ Brethren
2009 Grilling Rules
On-Site Judging Definition - Judges will come to your plot at a predetermined time. You will have the option of presenting your dishes any way that you would like. Tablescapes, presentation, flatware, etc. are only limited by your imagination. You will have 20 minutes with the judges. During that time you may offer a verbal presentation in addition to the food and the judges are free to ask you questions.
There will be 6 judges and one table captain. If you need chairs for the judges, see the organizers and if possible we will loan you chairs from the judging tent.
We ask that you afford the judges some privacy after they eat as they score your Grilling entry.
- Scoring categories are (in order of grading importance): Taste, Presentation and Originality
- Teams must prepare an entree and either an appetizer or dessert. Once those requirements are met, teams may prepare and present anything else that they would like (such as a soup or amuse-bouche). Scoring on ancillary items will only count towards presentation. Ancillary items must conform to the theme (see 3 below).
- The meal provided must have a unified national or regional theme. For example, a team may present food with an Asian theme of grilled beef with hoi sin sauce and egg rolls OR Italian with braciole and cannoli OR South Western with fajitas and black bean soup and so on.
- Everything must be prepared on site with the exception of: bread, ice cream and sauces.
- Any "secret ingredients" provided to the teams must be used in the preparation of their meal.
There will be a Hot Dog category that will not count towards the Grilling Grand Championship. Teams will be provided with Sabrett hot dogs and will have free reign to do with them what they will. Standard grilled dogs, pigs in a blanket, chili dogs, hot dog tempura, franks and beans, etc.
The Grand Champion for Grilling will receive a Big Green Egg. There will be monetary payouts and other prizes as well.